Making a difference
The Indus International Community School is an equal opportunity school as it provides the same learning facilities to underprivileged children that privileged children receive. Inaugurated on June 18th, 2010 the school started its academic operations on June 21st, 2010 from its newly built campus close to the existing Indus International school campus at Sarjapur. This school was started for grades 1 to 6, and every year one grade will be added until the school becomes a full-fledged grade K-12 School. The school syllabus is based on the Karnataka State Board's recommendations, but delivered through international best practices, systems and pedagogy. The medium of instruction is purely English.
This school is a centre of excellence for Technology, English and Vocational Skills. The school has state-of-the-art smart classrooms, equipped with the latest technology in classroom learning. Every classroom comprises 25 classrooms and has an interactive smart-board connected to an LCD projector and the internet. Every desk for students has a multimedia station connected to the internet and comes with the best technological support available. The school aims to turn each student into a fluent speaker of English within 10 months, for which a suitable curriculum, with emphasis on technology, is in place.
Aimed at providing good education for the rural poor who live below the poverty line (BPL), the main criterion for admission to the school is that the child is from a family that is economically disadvantaged. Teams of admission officers visit the families of the children seeking admission and validate their status. Also, 50% of the seats are reserved for girls, and preference is given to the children of widows from economically underprivileged communities. Parents of a child are required to pay just Rs 1,500 per annum as a token fee, and the balance is generated from the philanthropic contributions of Indus parents, teachers, and corporates. The vision and mission statement of the school is along the same lines of Indus International School, where we aim to create global citizens and leaders of tomorrow, 21st century citizens who think globally and act locally, through the traditional values of love, empathy, discipline and respect.
The Indus Charity Trust, a not-for-profit trust, runs this school. This Trust was established to run all charitable activities, and provides Equal Opportunity Education to the underprivileged living in its vicinity. This is the first such school run by the Trust. The school provides transport, mid-day meals, school uniform, shoes, socks, bags, textbooks, and stationery to all the children, free of cost. Students from the local orphanage have been inducted into mainstream education.
Admission Policy Framework
- Students applying to study at IICS must belong to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) category.
- There is no discrimination against caste, creed or race.
- 50% of the seats are reserved for girls.
- Preference is given to socially challenged children.
- Preference is given to physically challenged children.
- Selection Committee
Committee members include:
- Managing Trustee (Chairperson)
- Principal of IICS
- Coordinator of IICS
- 2 teachers from IICS
- Member of a BPL (Below Poverty Line) family (with documentary proof)
- Must be attending a school at the time of admission
- Must speak the mother tongue fluently
- Must be a sibling of an existing student to be eligible for admission levels other than grade 1
Grade Minimum Age (as on June 1st)
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- 11 years
- 12 years
Duly filled-in Application Form with a photocopy of the documents mentioned below:
- Progress report from the previous grade
- Birth certificate of the applicant
- Residence proof of the child and parent
- Income proof of the parents
- 2 passport-sized photos
- Medical Records (if any
- The villages immediately surrounding Indus, falling under Handenahalli Panchayat are the priority catchment areas.
- Beyond Handenahalli Panchayat, the following villages of Sarjapur and Biddragupe Panchayat can be considered for admission: Biddragupe, Arenur, Silk Farm,
- Sarjapura, Sompura and Hosahalli.
- The jurisdiction of any legislation will be Bangalore only.
- The decision of the admission committee will be final and abiding and may not be challenged.